Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gingerbread Cuppies!!

Here are some fun gingerbread cupcakes I made for a friend's Christmas party:


Gingerbread cupcakes + cream cheese frosting = mm mm good!

I don't know what's more fantastic -- gingerbread cupcakes or this stupendous cupcake carrier my old supervisor gave me as a gift before we moved.  Let's see, yummy cupcakes or cupcakes arriving safely?  Yeah, it's a toss up.


I even made some with peppermint frosting as a little experiment:

ECA and I have already  decided that there's really nothing too special about them but they are a neat twist on the usual combo!

I think I like the way the sprinkles look on top versus the fondant cutouts from the cupcakes in the post below.  Meh -- lesson learned!


♥GINGERBREAD CUPCAKES
Adapted from "Crazy About Cupcakes" by Krystina Castella

Makes 20-24 cupcakes

Ingredients:
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2/3 cup dark molasses (use light molasses if you don't want a strong molasses taste, but I like my gingerbread cupcakes like I like my men: strong 'n' spicy!)
2 teaspoons lemon zest (I omitted this)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup sour cream

Directions:
  1. HEAT oven to 350°F and line cupcake tins.
  2. CREAM together butter and sugars with a mixer until light and fluffy.
  3. ADD the egg and molasses.  If you're using lemon zest, add it here, too. 
  4. In a separate bowl, MIX together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.  
  5. ADD dry mixture to wet, alternating with sour cream.
  6. SPOON mixture into cupcake tins, filling liners 2/3 full. 
  7. BAKE for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean.
  8. SERVE as-is or frost with desired frosting (I used cream cheese frosting and peppermint buttercream)

10 comments:

  1. The sprinkles do look awfully cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! The frosting looks really nice. Just the right amount for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those look wonderful.. and the cream cheese frosting would have been the clincher for me lol. I prefer the sprinkles too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though Gingerbread is not my cup of tea, these look so lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love gingerbread this time of year! I've never tried cupcakes, but now I just may have to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I am such a spicy gingerbread lover! These are so pretty. I love the cute little sprinklings on top! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg they sound totally divine!! I'm so going to try this recipe out. THanks for sharing and I'm LOVING the polka dot background :o) M x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just telling my ManDork that I wanted to try making gingerbread cupcakes, and now I've got a recipe! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW Those sound Fantastic!!!!!

    ReplyDelete