Thursday, November 5, 2009

Brown Sugar Pecan Cupcakes and Dollface Delights!

Picture from Bon Appétit Magazine

It's been waaaaaay too long since I got a chance to play around with a new cupcake recipe but thankfully my dearest, sweetest mother came to my rescue this past weekend by showing me that she had received the latest issue of Bon Appétit. I believe the conversation went like this:

Mom: Did you see I got the newest issue of Bon Appétit?

Me: No! [grabs magazine] Sweet! Thanksgiving recipes! AND A CUPCAKE RECIPE!! Can I have this?

Mom: No.

Me: [Takes it anyway]

THANKS MOM!! Don't worry -- in return, I'll bring the first batch by your office for testing and analysis purposes. QUALITY CONTROL IS KEY! Though I didn't get a chance to take pictures of these tasty treats, they were QUITE delectable. Darling hubby thought they were a bit too nutty but he doesn't like pecans anyway. I, on the other hand, thought they were scrumptious. Pecan pie is my favorite pie, though, tied with cherry pie, so perhaps I'm slightly biased. Mmmm... pie. Back to this recipe, the caramel frosting was the **perfect** topping BUT I felt like it was less a frosting and more a glaze. It was so runny!! Definitely had a great caramel flavor and by far my favorite caramel frosting glaze recipe :)

♥Brown Sugar Pecan Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes (I got 13)

Ingredients:

  • 1 c. all-purpose flour*
  • 1/2 c. cake flour*
  • 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 1/4 c. coarsely chopped toasted pecans (I didn't toast mine)
  • 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 c. (packed) brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1/3 c. sour cream
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
*I didn't have any cake flour so I used the following substitution: 1 c. cake flour = 1 c. all-purpose flour MINUS 2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons corn starch (so in this situation since I needed 1/2 c. cake flour I used 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, took out 1 tablespoon flour, and added 1 tablespoon cornstarch).

Directions:
  1. PREHEAT oven to 350°F
  2. WHISK flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. ADD pecans.
  3. In another bowl, BEAT butter until smooth (about 30 seconds).
  4. ADD brown sugar, BEAT until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
  5. ADD eggs 1 at a time, beating to blend between additions.
  6. BEAT in sour cream and vanilla.
  7. ADD dry ingredients to wet; beat on low speed just to blend.
  8. DIVIDE batter among muffin cups.

♥Caramel Frosting Glaze
(Don't try to make this at 12:30 AM. It takes foreeeeeeever. At least, that's what it seems like when you really just want a cupcake.)

Ingredients:
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/8 t. salt
  • 1 c. powdered sugar, sifted (I didn't sift mine. Laaaaaaazy!!)
  • 1 c. coarsely chopped toasted pecans (again, I didn't toast mine. *sigh*)
Directions:
  1. STIR sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high.
  2. BOIL until syrup turns deep amber*, brushing down sides with wet pastry brush (about 6-7 minutes)
    *NOTE:
    I haven't really made a lot of stovetop frostings so maybe this is expected by some people but I DID NOT KNOW that the sugar-water went from liquid to powder and then back to liquid again. I thought I did something wrong but apparently that's exactly what's supposed to happen! Also, I didn't do the pastry brush bit. Oops :)
  3. REMOVE FROM HEAT.
  4. ADD cream (mixture will bubble up -- this is OK!)
  5. STIR over low heat until caramel bits dissolve.
  6. WHISK egg yolks in medium bowl. Very gradually whisk hot caramel into yolks.
  7. COOL to room temperature.
  8. Using electric mixer, beat butter and salt in large bowl until smooth. Beat in caramel.
  9. ADD powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
  10. Let stand at room temperature until thick enough to spread (about 1 hour). <-- WHAT?? I got this far and was SO READY to eat one of these dang things when I read this part. WHAT GIVES!?!
  11. Spread frosting over cupcakes. Place pecans on plate. Roll edges in nuts.
  12. OMC EAT THEM RIGHT NOW!

    ~♥~

As a total side-note, can I just take a moment to review my new dish soap? We don't have a dishwasher here in the Miss Dot household. Rather, I AM the dish washer. This means that I pay particular attention to the dish soap that we use and its ability to help me clean the dishes (i.e., does it make my life easier?) My newest soap purchase has received my highest rating so far:

Bright Green Concentrated Dish Washing Liquid
(lavender scented)

Pros:

  • Seriously cuts grease. No lie there. It even says "Tough on Grease" right on the front but it ain't no namby pamby marketing scheme -- it's the real deal.
  • It doesn't smell like natural lavender BUT the smell isn't sickening or cloyingly sweet.
  • No animal testing.
  • Biodegradable.
  • No petroleum solvents.
  • Naturally derived ingredients/surfactants.
  • Phosphate-free.
  • Packing made from 25% post-consumer waste.
Cons:
  • Lavender makes me sleepy.

Just kidding.

~♥~

In other news... Check out what I got in the mail from the LOVELY Erica B. of Dollface Delights!!


::DRAMATIZATION::

So there I was, Monday afternoon, bored bored bored and wishing something would appear to cheer me up...


...when lo and behold, A PACKAGE CAME!!


I could tell right away that this was no ORDINARY package. It even SOUNDED special!


I began to open the package.


FINALLY! Got it open :)
Ta-da!! Look what she made for me!!


She even sent me a little note, too :)

Aren't I just the luckiest girl?? Apparently that's what I get for telling her that I LOVED her cute sign that she used at Bite Fest 2009.

BTW -- Can you tell we're totally twins? She's my sista from anotha motha. I love her style!!

If you haven't yet, definitely take a minute to stop by her blog and check out what she's up to. She's got the neatest stuff! For example, check out one of my favorites of hers: The Monroe Brownie. I'll bet Marilyn would be proud!


11 comments:

  1. Quite a dramatization, had me chuckling. Visiting via SITS. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cupcake recipe sounds yumm.. as soon as i will be able to eat I'll give it a try!..also i love the sign you received :) it's cute!

    Happy Friday!

    *visiting from SITS and i like your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok those cupcakes are making my mouth water.. I LOVE pecan pie as well What good Southern girl doesn't.. Love the banner too cute... have a wonderful day hun...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl you are too funny!! I was dying laughing at your photo montage... I love it. I am so glad you liked the banner, it was made with lots of love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the little conversation with your mom and then, laughed out loud at the "dramatization" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment...and no, I didn't raid your closet, I just love red shoes and the color red in general. So now you know I love the look of your blog and even more, the content is tops!

    You have it going on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the facials! i love getting surprise packages i the mail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for happy mail :D - and those cupcakes sound awesome - I love pecan pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brown Sugar and Pecans are one of my all time favorite combos! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAhaha, you had me laughing!

    The cupcake is so cute! I just want to take a bite of those pecans.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to comment on the yummy beer bread post at the top of the page when teh photo of this drool-worthy cupcake caught my eye. YUM!

    Love the dramatization! LOL

    ReplyDelete